The Church That Covenants Together Stays Together
A Church Covenant can be an intimidating thing. But so is the Bible if we are reading with our eyes open! And that is why a Church Covenant is both important and intimidating: it calls us to commit ourselves to live together according to what the Bible says we are to do as followers of Christ. It pictures the commitment that 9Marks is talking about this video.
What is our Church Covenant?
Having been chosen by God and drawn by the Spirit to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord, I now, with a view to my baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, do joyfully enter into this covenant with the members of this church as one body in Christ, according to the following affirmations and commitments.
1. I believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation. (2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21; Matthew 4:4)
2. I acknowledge myself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving his wrath, and without hope except in God’s sovereign love and mercy to save me. (Romans 3:9-18, 23; 6:23; Ephesians 1:3-14; 2:1-10; Titus 3:3-7; 1 Peter 1:2-9; Romans 8:29-30)
3. I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, the only Savior of sinners, and receive and rest upon him alone for salvation as he is offered to me in the Gospel. (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 1:16-17; 3:9-26; 10:9; Philippians 2:5-11; 3:5-9; Titus 3:3-5; 1 Timothy 1:15)
4. I resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that I will endeavor to put to death the misdeeds of my sinful nature and to live my life as is fitting a true follower of Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 4:17-6:4; Colossians 3:1-4:6; 1 Peter 1:13-15; 2:18-5:11; 2 Peter 1:3-9; Romans 8:29; 12:1-15:14)
5. I promise to support the church in its worship and work to the best of my ability. (Romans 12:3-8; 1 Corinthians 12:9-15; Ephesians 4:1-16; Hebrews 10:24-25; 12:24-25; 1 Peter 4:7-11)
6. I submit myself to the government and discipline of the church, and promise to pursue its purity and peace. (Matthew 16:18; 18:15-20; 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13; 1 Timothy 3:15; 5:17-20; Hebrews 13:17; Colossians 3:15; Romans 12:18-21)
7. Finally, I give my informed consent to and hereby covenant and agree to support and submit to the Core Beliefs, Core Values, and Core Commitments of this church.
You can hear more about this by listening to Life in the Body - Part 9 here.
What could drive us to make this kind of commitment to other people?
The glorious gospel of our Lord Jesus!
You can read more about this gospel by going here.
You can listen to it explained in the message, Gospel Basics, by going here.